Sunday, February 8, 2015

Light in the Darkness

Stardate: October 1, 3999

Ralph,

I went only to the station library this week love, and only there. Mostly, I stayed home as you advised. It was in the morning. I have lots of news, some marvelous and some, not so marvelous. There was quite a hullabaloo at the station for a few days, I must say. Several large space cruisers docked  at the station at the beginning of the week. Everyone was wondering. I'd hardly noticed until I ventured out to the library. It was the ridiculous Star Crest corp, the super-precious cyborg community from the Naspar system. They always seem so aloof and haughty, those ones. The "new" men or the "new" race, as they say. Humanity is in even more trouble if this is so. 

There were more than a few fights that broke out on the station while they were here. Brawling follows these brutes where ever they go and I'm none too impressed by the abilities they crow about. They seem to think they are superior to ordinary humans because of their enhancements. Why, just the other morning as I was on my way to the library I saw one of them in a row with one of the regular denizens of the station. Shameful! The commander really should do something about these beastly people!

As for the old librarian, he'd said that trouble began as soon as their ship docked. One young crass tough had demanded as soon as he'd slithered down the walk-way to speak to the commander of the station because the station was old, decrepit and poorly designed, as he put it, and that it wasn't up to his standards when he travels. The nerve! Of course, the commander himself never showed up, having better things to do and sent a lieutenant instead but he started a fight right there in the main corridor.  This is not to mention the lewd nonsense from some of them in the cantina from what the librarian told me. 

Anyway, I told him that I wanted a book on the Starry Lathe of Heaven and any legends surrounding it. He had one old battered copy of the actual sacred book! He was surprised when I'd asked for it, I think, it nearly made the dear old man weep. He'd said that no one had checked it out in at least thirty years and that the digital copies they keep had become corrupted and mysteriously he cannot get more copies in any form. He'd taken the book and hid it and kept it well protected from others looking for it to steal it with dark motives. he told me that he'd also began making a hand written copy of the book. I was happy to hear this. People had thought it lost and he could have it to himself in peace but he said that he knew of you and your knighthood and gladly lent it to me, for which I was greatly appreciative. 

It is so good to find familiar souls of light and love in this vast darkness of space we sail through. We were two bright candles in the dark together in that dusty library. I bid him be blessed and he did me as I left and felt my soul fed a little bit.
Again, I read the beginning of the Book where it says: "If you read this, then you exist. . ." Words that began the wide world and the universe that hold it. 

I dreamed last night and saw you. You were leaving the light house station on the edge of the Milky Way. Beyond as a tiny spark I could see the first web wall of the universe, the first Great Work of the Lathe from His Hand. I feel like a light, when I am of a mood of dream, hope and contentment, in tune with the Light of the universe. But there is the other, dark side of that woman's mood, when the edge of that vast night you stand on is really the edge of oblivion. The only string that holds us together is my love for you and yours for me and the hope that you will return home safely.

Please return my love, safely. My mood grows desolate, suddenly. I shall read while you are away for. . . comfort? But what comfort is there but love? And what is love if it is nothing of the flesh? I know that is short-sighted. I grow weary and talk wild. Forgive me.

Dearest,
Magdalene

No comments:

Post a Comment